All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Comfort Food

On a cool, rainy September evening, I was craving some comfort food, so decided to make this risotto recipe.  I had been wanting to try my hand at risotto for quite a while now.  And, I had a pound of mushrooms in the fridge from my Tuesday trek to Root's that needed to be used.  Yum!!  It provided the comfort I was hungering for and then some.  It never occurred to me to take a picture until after I had devoured it (I did cut the recipe in thirds!)....

Gourmet Mushroom Risotto
Source:  allrecipes.com

6 c. chicken broth, divided
3 T. olive oil, divided
1 lb. portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced*
1 lb. white mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 shallots, diced*
1 1/2 c. Arborio rice**
1/2 c. dry white wine*
sea salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 T. finely chopped chives
4 T. butter
1/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
In a small saucepan, warm broth over low heat.

Warm 2 T. olive oil in a large saucepan over med-high heat.  Stir in mushrooms and cook until soft, about 3 min.  Remove mushrooms and their liquid and set aside.

Add 1 T. olive oil to skillet and stir in shallots.  Cook 1 min.  Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, about 2 min.  When rice has taken on a pale, golden color, pour in wine, stirring constantly until wine is fully absorbed.  Add 1/2 c. broth to the rice, and stir until broth is absorbed.  Continue adding broth 1/2 c. at a time, stirring continuously, until liquid is absorbed and rice is al dente, about 15-20 min.

Remove from heat; stir in mushrooms with their liquid, butter, chives and Parmesan.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

*My notes:
I used only white mushrooms instead of the two varieties.  I didn't have any shallots on hand, so I substituted 1 part garlic to 2 parts onion.  And, I skipped the white wine.  Still, a great recipe!
**The Arborio rice is the secret to the creamy, risotto texture.



No comments:

Post a Comment