All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Friday, February 24, 2012

Pennsylvania Garden Expo


I had a great time at the Pennsylvania Garden Expo in Harrisburg this afternoon.  It was a last minute whim, and I'm so glad I went.  The highlight for me was Matthew Benson's presentation on how to photograph your garden.  He was fabulous!  I had no idea he was so well-known, or I would have made sure I had gotten my picture taken with him; there were very few people present, so it would have been an option!  :{ 


I did, however, get an autographed book plate from him to insert in my copy of his new book The Photographic Garden when it comes out in a few weeks.  :)  It wasn't until I got home and looked up his work online that I realized that I have admired his photos in numerous publications (Organic Gardening, Better Homes & Gardens, Martha Stewart Living magazines, etc.) for years.  He has a wonderful eye and sense for lighting.  Since he's a gardener himself (he actually owns and operates a CSA farm), he has a great love and respect for his subject material.  And, he has wonderful pictures of his chickens.  :)

I also attended a lecture on seed-starting by George Weigel, garden columnist for the Patriot News.  I wasn't going to start any seeds indoors this year - figured it wasn't realistic since my time is limited now that I'm working full time again.  But, George's lecture inspired me, and I promptly got my butt in gear and planted my early veggies.  I wish I had heard his lecture last year before my first attempts at seed-starting - would have saved me from making a few mistakes!  I appreciated his no-nonsense, economical approach.  He has a nice little write up on his website that is very helpful.


Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment