All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Homegrown Popcorn


At my request, my soon-to-be-87-year-old father was gracious enough to grow some popcorn for me this year.  I just don't have enough space to grow corn in my garden, but my dad has a large garden and is still agile enough to exercise his green thumb.  

He grew two varieties for me,

 
a Strawberry popcorn which can be used for ornamental purposes OR for eating,


and the Snowpuff variety. 

We had no trouble shelling the white popcorn, but we had a terrible time with the Strawberry.  In fact, my dad insisted that I didn't know what I was talking about, and that the Strawberry wasn't meant to be eaten.  But, I double checked the Rohrer Seeds catalog when I got home, and indeed it said it can be popped into fluffy white popcorn.  When I get hungry enough, I'll work at shelling it.  But for now, it's being used for decoration. 

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment