All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Watermelon Rind Pickles


I grew up knowing about watermelon rind pickles, and can remember my Great Aunt Mary collecting our rinds in her dishpan after dinner out on the lawn at her home.  My mom used to make them as well.  I had never been motivated to try attempting them until this year, when I grew my first ever watermelon.  What a thrill!!  It was so sacred, so special that I couldn't bear to throw any bit of it away.  I know pickles are not exactly a healthful thing to make or eat, but I figure the value of fond memories can negate the negative effect of all that sugar.  I found my mom's recipe, but only the ingredients - not the directions.  So, I'm not posting the recipe until I know for sure if they are good enough to eat.  I'm planning to serve them to my family for Christmas dinner.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment