All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sun-Dried Tomatoes in Oil



I can't believe it took me until now to make a batch of sun-dried tomatoes from some of the tomatoes I dehydrated last summer for this very purpose.  I guess I just wasn't quite sure how to go about it, was making it more complicated than it needed to be, and needed some motivation in the form of today's asparagus recipe which called for sun-dried tomatoes to get me moving!  Basically you need to rehydrate the tomatoes a bit, then pack them in oil and herbs.  This is how I did it:

Place dehydrated tomatoes loosely in a small mason jar.  Cover with vinegar.  Drain the vinegar off into a saucepan and heat until boiling.  Pour the vinegar back over the tomatoes; let sit for 10 minutes.  Pour the vinegar off again, this time saving it for future use -  it makes a great vinaigrette.  Add some thyme, oregano and sliced garlic (optional) to the tomatoes, then cover with olive oil.  Allow to sit at room temperature for 4-8 hours, then store in refrigerator.

Better than anything you can buy at the grocery store!!

No comments:

Post a Comment