All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Square Foot Gardening

I had raised beds installed almost 10 years ago - they have been such a blessing! It means less bending over, and the loose soil makes for easy weeding. I stumbled across the classic book Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew right at the beginning of my vegetable gardening pursuits, and it's been my trusty handbook ever since; I refer to it quite frequently. It's amazing how much produce you can raise in such a small space, and there are no rows to maintain. I'm hooked! I'll include a picture of the entire layout at some point (I don't have a good digital picture available at the moment), but until then, here's an upclose view:


I simply use 4-foot bamboo stakes to mark out the one-foot grids - it's makes spacing seeds and plantings a breeze. It's worth considering!

No comments:

Post a Comment