All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Kindred-Spirit Gardeners



As much as I love gardening, it's often more than I can manage with ever present physical limitations.  It's a love/hate relationship!  I love the beauty of tidy flower beds and a manicured lawn, but dread the aches and pains that go with it, and hate feeling overwhelmed when the workload gets out of control.  When I was in the midst of cancer treatment in 2007, a dear friend offered to come weed for me.  What a blessing!!  It was the one thing I most needed, but also the very thing that few people would enjoy doing, or would do well.  I was still recuperating from surgery and needed to sit in the lawn chair and just watch most of the time, but my friend cheerfully and efficiently breezed through the task.  Suddenly, the weedy flowerbeds that had felt so overwhelming and such a reminder of my limitations were now a thing of beauty and the very thing that breathed life back into my soul.  Since that summer, she has come numerous times to help me, including today.  I so enjoy working alongside someone who loves being outdoors and loves seeing the finished product as much as I do.  And, she is even willing to help me with my compost piles!  What more could I ask??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment